Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Invitation to Play With Foil - Tips and Ideas


When we are having one of those days where I need to pull out all my tricks, foil is a life saver.  Inspired by One Perfect Day's fantastic invitation to play, building blocks and foil, I have been setting up 'invitations to play with foil' for my kids and they love it.

It's not difficult to see why. Foil is a great sensory material. It's shiny and smooth to begin with but once handled it becomes crinkly and makes a wonderful sound when scrunched. 

Setting up an invitation to play with foil doesn't take a lot of time. I spend a few minutes walking around the house looking for loose parts, household objects or toys which might pair well with the foil or bring about a surprising outcome.

The foil can be presented in small or large pieces and in different shapes or strips.

We've included shells, seed pods, pegs, small boxes, blocks, pine cones, wooden spoons, cutlery, doll house furniture, paddle pop sticks, toy cars, q-tips, cotton balls and believe it or not, door knobs.



Both my two-year-old and four-year-old enjoy playing independently with foil and and are able to do so side-by-side at their own skill level. They wrap some objects into tiny parcels and add shiny embellishments to others.  The foil can also be moulded into any shape they please but often they just want to move it around, feel the scrunch in their hands and hear that amazing sound.



Once they're done, you can save the foil for your kids to use again in a different way. I vary the way our  'invitations to play' are presented so my two are engaged just long enough for me to have some much needed time to myself.



You might also like our invitation to play in the mud!

15 comments:

  1. We have never tried foil before. Must do so I think!
    The Pine cone chalice looks cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought that was pretty cool too :)

      Delete
  2. How lovely! I think my kids would find this really engaging :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very timely your post is Hannah - I had just add foil play to my preschool program! Now I have some lovely pictures (as always) to show everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you will find this useful :)

      Delete
  4. Love the idea of teaming foil with natural products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great juxtaposition isn't it!

      Delete
  5. This is a great idea. We are always collecting pine cones - there are always lots of them on the ground at our local park. Never thought of combining them with foil. We'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this and love the little people. Mind sharing where they are from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought them online several years ago... Sorry I don't remember where. They were plain and I painted them myself with acrylic paint :)

      Delete
  7. Looks like such a quick and easy activity to set up - will be trying so thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pulled out the foil after Ness' post as well and it was a hit with my kids too. But you've taken it that step further! I'll be keeping these ideas up my sleeve for one of those 'the kids are driving me mental' moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This a lovely invitation to play. Foil is popular with my son. He uses it to make bumper bars, headlights and all sorts of accessories for his cars. Elise at Creative Play Central

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...