Monday, November 4, 2013

DIY garden play dough kit

Christmas is on the horizon and I am beginning to feel a mild degree of panic as I contemplate the complex world of gifting. Predictably, I'll leave everything until the last minute meaning you'll probably find me in the wee hours of December 24th wielding a glue gun to whatever over-ambitious handmade gifts I've attempted. I'm not sure I can muster the enthusiasm.

Last year I came up with something pretty good for my niece, Miss Daisy (Daughter of Rebekah over at Just For Daisy)

I'm calling it a garden play dough kit. It's a somewhat open-ended collection of objects that I thought might make a delightful small world for a little girl (or boy).

We picked up a small wooden birdhouse at a craft shop. Daddy used a hole saw, a tool which I am not familiar with, to cut a hole big enough for little fingers to maneuver toys in and out. 

He also cut some coloured pegs in half creating little peg people.

I found some bamboo/wooden bowls at an op-shop (thrift store). Perfect!

Most riveting are the flowers made from wooden craft sticks, felt and a glue gun. I'd made similar flowers for the hats at Pea's third birthday party loosely following a tutorial similar to this one.

And to pull it all together, play dough dirt, play dough made with a excessive amount of food dye in a neat little package.

This was one of those gifts we wished we could have kept all to ourselves. Those are the best kind of gifts though, aren't they?


  1. This is so gorgeous! Thanks for linking to Tuesday Tots. I've featured this creative idea this week :)

  2. This is so lovely! What a great gift for a little one.

  3. Oooh, that is lovely. My five year old would love this!

  4. Thanks so much for this post! There is some really great advice here. I can't wait to get started with my painting project tomorrow!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...