If you're anything like me and you don't think half way through December is too late to make an advent calendar then this post if for you. I actually finished our calendar on the 2nd which is over a week ago now but who's counting?
As most projects are around here, this calendar was made at last minute with what I had on hand (I did go out and buy some stamps when I was nearly finished and now I use them for almost everything!).
We had a shadow box lying around that we sometimes use for storing Miss 3's found objects. Behind closed doors so that everyone would be surprised, I filled 25 of the boxes with a chocolate, a decoration to hang on our wall tree and a holiday activity for Miss 3. Each box was then covered with a numbered piece of brown paper and the seams were hidden with ribbon. I'd like to say I was going for a simple look but in reality I was just strapped for time.
It can be a challenge to think up 25 activities on the spot but here are some of the ideas I came up with.
- Watch a Christmas movie (this will be Miss 3's second movie ever so she'll be really excited!).
- Make Christmas wrapping.
- Go for an evening walk along the lake.
- Go look at Christmas lights.
- Make ice blocks (it's summer!)
- Make a special gift for someone.
- Choose a toy to give to Charity.
- Decorate the table for a special family dinner on the Summer Solstice.
- Camp out in your bedroom.
- Write and send a letter to Nan.
- Various Christmas crafts including decorating felt Christmas tree, a needle work activity, making paper chains and a tree from playdough.