Busy bags are a new and exciting internet craze or at least new and exciting to me. What is a busy bag? It's a small zip lock bag (or similar) containing an activity that can be done independently or with minimal assistance by your toddler. Basically an easy activity to keep them busy. Great for the car, shops or while cooking dinner!
|Threading Activity Story Stones|
I've seen other busy bag swaps around the internet so when my sister-in-law, Rebekah, from Just for Daisy hinted that she would like to organise one, I was dying to be involved. After a few weeks of deliberation, we are finally hosting our very own Australian busy bag swap and we'd love for you to join in!
Here is how it will work:
We will be taking 'sign ups' from today until February 29. Only Australian residents can participate. If you commit please ensure you can meet the deadlines to ensure everyone receives their bags of goodies complete and on time! Once sign ups close you will be assigned an activity (hopefully one of your choice but we don't want to double up!)
Please start to think about an activity you would like to create and duplicate for your group. (perhaps have a 2nd choice in case it's taken)
Upon being emailed your activity you will be given one month to create your duplicate activities and post to myself or Rebekah ready for swapping and sending back your completed Busy Bags!
|Recycled Wallet Activity Block Puzzle Felt board|
All activities should be:
- Grab & Go: The purpose of a busy bag is to have convenient activities with all necessary components ready to go!
- Confined to a zip lock or similar bag is ideal. They should be transportable and easy to use at home OR out and about!
- Easy to use: The bags shouldn't need extra supplies, particularly those that are messy or need to be set up prior to use (ie. paint) Remember we're encouraging independent play!
- Long-Lasting: Choose activities that don't need to be restocked. Laminate where necessary. Try to have an activity that is age appropriate for an extended time frame too!
- Inexpensive: Activities should come in at around $1-$2 each, hopefully less! We don't want the swap to be a huge cost to anyone. Try to use things you already have or be resourceful with second hand or inexpensive items.
|Silhouette Puzzle Easy Travel Game Paper Doll|
This Busy Bag Swap will run via mail (aside from local participants).
Your busy bags will need to be posted to myself or Rebekah by March 31 (all details in your sign up email), giving you about a month to complete your duplicate activities and post them off.
Postage should be in a prepaid satchel (500g size may be okay for initial items - approx $6) and you should include an additional self addressed satchel (500g-3kg size necessary (approx $10) to receive all of your goodies back. (You may choose to go for express or registered satchels for an extra cost or for an extra $1 I think you can have a 'sign on delivery' option added.)
We would hope all recipients have received their completed busy bags by mid-April.
If you like the sound of this and would like to sign up to be part of this fun swap where you will receive a collection of interactive, educational and engaging activities for your toddler, please comment below with your email address OR email us at justfordaisy11 (at) gmail (dot) com to express your interest.
We'll send you some more information and keep you updated on activities.
If you sign up below please do the following:
- Start thinking about what activity you'd like to do (have a few options) You can include these in your sign up email or we will request them by the month's end.
- Visit Rebekah's Busy Bag Pinterest board and My Busy Bag Pinterest board for some exciting busy bag ideas.
- Take a look around this blog and Just For Daisy for more ideas.
- Be on the lookout for specials at your local thrift store, craft shop or $2 shop - this might influence your choice of activity.
- Ensure you can meet the deadlines so that the swap runs smoothly.
- If you have a blog, grab our Busy Bag Button and pop it on your side bar.
We really hope you can participate and look forward to hearing from you soon!