Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

How to Make and Play With Story Stones

I've seen a lot of different versions of story stones on the internet and have always thought that they are a great idea for fostering creativity and language development. Over the last week or so I have been busy making my own. Here are my latest of about thirty or so. I think I'll stop making them for now, however they have proven to be an invaluable play resource so I'm sure that by the time my kids are grown we'll have hundreds of story stones scattered around the house.

Our collection includes people, animals, trees, clothing, household objects, toys, food, transportation, places (e.g. park), weather (e.g. rain), elements (e.g. water) and a sun for day and stars on a black stone for night.

I haven't included any fairy tale or magical images such as wings or wands as I plan to start using this type of story telling to teach my kids how to come up with positive and realistic solutions to their problems. For instance if a character is sad because it starts raining while he is at the park, we will look for realistic solutions like sitting under a tree until it stops and then jumping in puddles rather than just waving a magic wand to make it go away. While there will always be room in our home for wildly imaginative play, I would like to model some positive problem solving skills in our story telling.

I painted our stones by hand in acrylic paint. You don't have to be an artist to do your own. Simple shapes and patterns work fine, in fact I think they look better.

Before I even had the chance to explain story stones to my two-year-old she was using them to make up her own stories. They just seem to lend themselves to story telling. In the picture above she was recounting a story about going to the park with Daddy. 

Sometimes she will bring me the bag of stones and we will pull one out at a time and make up a story using the images as prompts until the story reaches its natural conclusion. My favorite stories so far have been about her little brother getting in trouble for eating a sandwich in bed and Daddy going on a train wearing a tutu. I can't wait find out where the next stone will take us.

25 comments:

  1. Hannah, its Renee. These are brilliant! I have recently started a blog (i Told you that I wanted to & now that im fb free I have that extra time to do so lol) & we also did these not too long ago.
    These are our story stones....

    http://homeadventureswithmum.blogspot.com/2011/10/story-stones-for-imaginative-free-play.html

    Yours are so cute, Im sure Priya will amuse you with lots of interesting stories in the future :) Seths stories crack me up! Have a look at my blog, were slowly adding stuff. So many fun things to do with little ones :P
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are GREAT.. Neat idea.. :)) LOVE it.. What an awesome blog,,Im officially following ya with smiles.. Found ya on linky and had to stop in.. So much creativity dwells here.. Im Marilyn via http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com ..Hope you can stop in sometime..TY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello

    I picked up this post from Let the Children Play blog hop. I wondered if you would consider using abstract designs too - I find these really add value.... http://creativestarlearning.blogspot.com/2011/09/story-stones-and-thinking-skills.html

    Best wishes
    Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are beautiful. I love that your images are so open ended, allowing the children's imaginations to really take flight

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is absolutely stunning! I would love to see what my children would come up with. Thanks for linking up to The Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOSH!!! I am in love!! :) This is the most fabulous idea!
    I would love to use something like this at school for creative writing.
    Maybe a Christmas present idea for Miss Daisy... or Aunty Bek!! :) xx Great work Hannah. Love how they have meaning too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful idea - we are going to try it out, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love it if you would link up some of your great ideas on my new Monstrously Creative link party! I'm featuring some great ideas this week, and yours could be next! Come join the party!
    Mandi at BBM

    ReplyDelete
  9. These turned out beautifully! And I like how you plan to use them in real life situations. I've had my kids make some of these, but I would love to make some like this (don't know if I have the artitic ability though).

    Thanks for sharing this on Monday Madness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the little bag to put them in. I like the simple beauty in your art work on them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your story stones are beautiful!!! Love the bag, too. Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, these are clever, my kids love collecting rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your story stones are gorgeous. I love you blog, so many great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I'm Ty!
    I love this idea! Mom & I are always looking for new & fun ways to work on my tough words & sentences.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your story stones, what a great idea!! :) Am pinning this, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That tree! That Boat!
    Just beautiful Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where do you get your stones? Did you buy them somewhere or do you find them naturally?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Where do you get your stones? Did you buy them somewhere or do you find them naturally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done both. I will usually buy them from Bunnings or a gardening store though :)

      Delete
  19. Thanks for sharing this, I am going to use them with my expressive arts group - we will chose the stones from the beach and paint them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so lovely to hear. We love story stones, I'm sure you will too :)

      Delete
  20. What kind of paint do you use for your stones?

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...