Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Photo Treasure Hunt

Before my 8-week-old made his surprise entrance into the world, we were planning a week of activities inspired by the letter 'T'. This was one of them. Our treasure was easy to make with quite a visually effective result, not to mention that the 'treasure hunt' game is one that we will play again and again.

To make you own, you'll need cardboard, PVA glue, black paint, gold paint, paper towel and some photographs of places around your house and yard to use as clues for your treasure hunt.


I began by cutting circles which are 8cm in diamiter.  I made ten. Then I carefully drew some treasure like patterns onto our circles using PVA glue.

Once the glue dried, I got my two-year-old to paint the bumpy surface black. I filled in any patchy spots.



The black paint dried straight away and we began to dab the gold paint on roughly with paper towel, letting the black show through in the crevices to create an oxidised effect. This worked so well, I plan to use the same method to make some frames and perhaps a trophy.

My daughter then did a wonderful job of helping me glue the clues to the back of the 'coins'.

We were ready for our first treasure hunt! 


I hid all ten coins in a sequence around the house bar one, which we kept to use as the first clue. It took Priya a little while to get the hang of things but once she understood, she was on a roll, especially after she learned that I had hidden a tasty treat at the end.

10 comments:

  1. thank you for your comment.. like it.
    I discovered this blog and i will follow it too.
    I think it's great. Groeten uit Nederland.
    Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This activity is so fun! I've been looking around your blog and it is absolutely amazing! I love all your ideas, especially your cardboard play ideas. I'm excited to be a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great activity Hannah! :) Looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic!!! Great tutorial on how to make the coins, too!! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww this is cute and inspiring!!!
    You always amaze me with your creativity...

    have a beautiful day to you and your little fam!

    xoxo ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! How incredibly creative and fun. Love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your post through Anna over at the Imagination Tree and have passed it on to my mommy friends! Can't wait to try it myself! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun way to do a treasure hunt! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. I might have to use this idea for my son's upcoming pirate party.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...